North Melbourne have pulled off a stunning AFL heist, swooping to secure recently-delisted Gold Coast midfielder Hugh Greenwood.
- Hugh Greenwood was delisted by the Suns in the knowledge they would resign him during the draft
- North Melbourne offered the 29-year-old a better deal than the Suns were offering
- Greenwood tweeted last week that he was still at the Suns and his delisting was to help the club’s list strategy
In one of the more bizarre and dramatic moves in recent AFL history, the Kangaroos have capitalised on Gold Coast’s tricky list predicament.
Greenwood, 29, was cut by the Suns last week but was expected to be put straight back on the club’s list during the draft period.
Instead, North Melbourne saw an opportunity and offered Greenwood a better deal.
“We sat down and had an open conversation about the offer and what was best for both Hugh, his family and the Gold Coast Suns,” Suns strategy manager Craig Cameron said
It comes after Greenwood took to social media last week to pledge his commitment to Gold Coast.
“Still on the primary list. Still on the same contract,” Greenwood tweeted.
“Still at the Suns. Still see everyone round one.
“Was happy to cop the odd clickbait article & social nuff if it meant assisting the club’s overall list strategy.”
Greenwood injured his knee in July and missed the Suns’ last six games of the 2021 season but is expected to be fit for the start of pre-season training.
“It’s been a whirlwind past 48 hours, however the opportunity to extend my career and set my young family up with North Melbourne was one too good to turn down,” Greenwood said on Monday.
“I strongly believe the football club is now in a far better position than when I first arrived and I wish everyone here all the best for what will be an exciting few years ahead.”
The former US college basketballer played 32 games for Gold Coast after moving from Adelaide at the end of 2019 following 51 games for the Crows.
Greenwood’s relationship with North coach David Noble from when they were at Adelaide together proved crucial in the signing.
“Every club is on the lookout for this type of player so we knew we had to act quickly when he became available,” North football talent manager Brady Rawlings said.
“It’s fair to say we were pretty pumped when he told us he was keen to come to Arden St.
“When he came onto the market it was unanimous among our list management team that we should accelerate our interest.
“Once everything checked out we looked to get his signature.”
North are coming off their first wooden spoon in almost 50 years and will have the opening selection in the national draft on November 24.